LT 030 | Theo Pickles – The role of specificity in training
In Episode 030 of the LEO Training Podcast I am joined by High Performance Strength and Conditioning Coach for the NOC*NSF, Theo Pickles.
Theo is a high performance strength and conditioning coach focused on elite development athletes. While development athletes are his primary area of focus he also works with established athletes.
These sports include
– Rowing (Senior Dutch National Team)
– Swimming (development and senior Dutch National Team),
– Equestrian (senior Dutch National Team),
– Ice Hockey (CTO) Eindhoven High Tecs, development Youth Team),
– Gymnastics (Senior Dutch Team) and
– Trampoline (Senior Dutch Team).
Theo’s specialties include: Strength and Conditioning Coaching, Olympic lifts, power development, speed development, youth development, rugby and collision sports.
Here’s what you will learn in this episode:
- Theo’s background
- Prescribing training load throughout the year
- Development of strength in an endurance environment
- Use of RSI
- Recommendations for club/recreational rowers vs. high performance athletes
- Paying attention to soreness and stiffness from training sessions
- Boat speed after strength sessions
- Why it’s important to do the same type of sessions in your sport and the gym on the same day
- Do not prescribe specific weights.
- Being a generalist
- and much more!