LT 017 | Karen Smith – Beyond Bodyweight
Episode 017 is the 3rd and final installment of the mini-series I’ve done in honor of Mother’s Day. Today’s guest is Karen Smith. Karen is a Master Kettlebell Instructor and the Chief Bodyweight Instructor for StrongFirst. She is also an advisor to Girls Gone Strong and completed the Iron Maiden Challenge in 2012. It is Karen’s desire to empower, motivate and mentor others to reach their true potential, either in person or thru online distance coaching & program design. Karen is a seasoned personal trainer and strength coach who travels the world instructing and certifying individuals of all ages and fitness levels from beginners to elite US military/Law enforcement.
In this episode we discuss the StrongFirst curriculum with a focus on bodyweight. Karen explains how bodyweight training has not only increased her strength but has provided her with the flexibility to train with an extensive travel schedule around the world all while being a mother. This interview has great insight into how anyone, but especially mothers, can integrate the StrongFirst Bodyweight curriculum into their busy lives to get stronger and be healthier with minimal time. Here’s what you will learn in this episode:
- Karen’s entry point into coaching from sales
- Why she loves bodyweight training and her roots in gymnastics
- How the StrongFirst Bodyweight curriculum compliments the other 2 modalities within the StrongFirst School of Strength: kettlebell and barbell
- What students can expect to learn at the SFB
- What bodyweight lifts translate directly to complimentary kettlebell and barbell lifts
- The high neurological load and need for volume reduction while training bodyweight
- How Karen has increased her strength in the last year while training less
- The balance of being a mother, teacher, coach, and an extensive travel schedule
It’s easy to review the show and it helps the show grow and reach a new audience. If you enjoyed this episode please take a moment and drop a review in iTunes or Stitcher. Thank you!