LT 016 | Laila Finska-Linna – High Performance Rowing & Motherhood
We are back with Episode 016 of the LEO Training Podcast! This is Part 2 of a 3 part mini-series in honor of Mother’s Day and today’s guest is Laila Finska-Linna. Laila was an integral part of the Finnish Rowing Team throughout the 1990’s with a career that spanned well over a decade. Laila is also a teacher, coach, and mother. In this interview you will hear a first hand account of her childhood and journey onto the Finnish Rowing Team and how she became a world champion in the Lightweight Women’s Single Scull in 2000. Now, what’s even more incredible is that Laila resumed her training while working and raising her young daughter. Here’s what you will learn in this episode:
- Laila’s childhood and entry point into athletics
- Cross country skiing
- Watching the 1972 Olympic in Montreal
- Partti Karpinen and Lasse Virnen
- Training in Portugal
- Rowing as a heavyweight and lightweight
- Training for Atlanta 1996
- Working, training, and being a mother!
- Transitioning from Athlete to coach and back again
- Moving from heavyweight to lightweight
- World Cup and World Championships in 2000
- and much more
It’s easy to review the show and it helps the show grow and reach a new audience. If you enjoyed this episode please take a moment and drop a review in iTunes or Stitcher. Thank you!
- Visualization exercises